- Closest to Sun
- Smallest – A bit larger than earth’s moon
- 2nd Densest after Earth
- 2nd warmest after Venus
- Day side – 450°C
- Night side – Drops to 100 times of degrees below freezing point
- No atmosphere to absorb meteor impacts therefore its surface is pockmarked with crater just like the Moon.
- consists of approximately 70% metallic and 30% silicate material.
- Discovery: Known to the ancients and visible to the naked eye.
- Named for: Messenger of the Roman gods
- Diameter: 3,031 miles
- Orbit: 88 Earth days
- Day: 58.6 Earth days
- Small planets’ nuclei are usually solid but due to Sulfur Mercury’s core is liquid.
- It is becoming less bulky
- In last 4 million years it has shrunk its radius to about 7Km
- One rotation – 59 Earth days
- Completes Orbit around the Sun – 88 Earth days.
- Caloris crater is largest – 1550km in diameter
- From Mercury the sun is viewed nearly 3 times larger as seen from the Earth.
- It has double sun rise; Rises, disappears and then rises again.
Download Mercury Facts PDF
Download PDF Lesson